The French-born artist Eduardo Laplante (1818-after 1860) moved to Cuba around 1848, where he established the first commercial lithography studio. Together with Leonardo Barañano, he drew and then printed both urban and rural landscapes of the Caribbean. The Graphic Arts Collection holds seven lithographs in the series Isla Cuba Pintoresca, including Cardenas, Cienfuegos, El Valle del Yumeri. Havana, Puerto-Principe, Santiago de Cuba and Trinidad.
Laplante liked to insert himself into his scenes. Here are two examples (above and below) showing the artist sketching but he can also be found on horseback exploring the vegetation and architecture of the islands, searching for the best scenes to capture.
See also Justo Germán Cantero, Los ingenios ([Madrid]: CEDEX-CEHOPU: Doce Calles: Fundación MAPFRE Tavera: CSIC, ). RECAP Oversize TP378 .C22 2005q